In the words of Winnie the Pooh, “It is a blustery day!” And, blustery days call for comfort food and I have just the recipe to share with you today!
Slow cooker or stovetop – I’ve tried it both ways and it’s fabulous!
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 T. of olive oil
- 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size chunks
- 4 cans (15.5 oz ea) Cannellini beans, rinsed well and drained
- 2 cans (14 oz ea) chicken broth (fat-free and reduced-sodium, if on the shelf)
- 1 can (4.5 oz) chopped green chile peppers
- 1 tsp each: salt and cumin
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp each: chili powder and ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp each: ground cloves and ground red pepper
1. SAUTE onions and garlic in oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add chicken and brown five minutes. Transfer mixture (or not) into 4-quart slow cooker. Stir in remaining ingredients.
2. COVER and cook on low 4-6 hours (in slow cooker). Uncover and cook 1 hour longer, stirring occasionally. IF using stovetop, just cook and simmer on low until chicken is cooked through. Garnish with fresh parsley or cilantro!
Makes 10 small servings; about 4-5 “real” servings!