The very first thing I learned this month is if I had blinked twice, I would have missed it! Did September blur by for you as well? My goodness, it was like 1-2-3 and it’s gone. Another lesson I learned and I’m still learning as I type? Too much rain and gray sky makes this woman slummmmp. Lord, I need sunshine! Okay, now for the list! But first, I’m linking up with Emily P. Freeman today because she’s the one that got me started on this “what I learned” thing!
What I Learned (& did) in September
- September 1st can be wiggy in the mountains – the heat went on in the morning and by the end of the day it was hot!
- Meeting a BFF for supper, spontaneously, is just what a soul needs! Thank you, Karen.
- It is never too late, nor is someone ever too old to start a new career – my hubs began working for a company back in March and it has been a HUGE ble$$ing to us. Thank You, Jesus!
- It is better to bless than be blessed – YES IT IS!
- I still get giddy to re-dress a room. Our bedroom got new drapes, rugs, and comforter. TRUE LOVE!
- I love our organic, grass-fed beef suppliers! They actually will do a “meet-up” and “drop-off” of an order. Thank you Keith & Teresa!
- Labor Day weekend without a plan or an agenda can be great fun!
- Is there anything better than a river baptism? Yes, when it’s three kids under the age of 10 dedicating their lives to Christ. Yes, Lord!
- Having a Christ-dedicated coffeehouse/cafe in our own little town of Jefferson! Thank you, Samara & Steve!
- Friends for dinner! Ali & Garo!
- Life Group! Jana & Dave; Fran & Glenn!
- The memory of 9.11 still hurts.
- Beth Moore Simulcast with 35 awesome women and husbands cooking and serving lunch! What? Thank you, Arna & Dale!
- Embarrassing your friends at the Mexican restaurant – huge sombreros and happy anniversary song and fried ice cream – a la Mexicana!!! ¡Sí Señor!
- A weekend trip to Pigeon Forge to see friends Kathy & Curt could produce one of the most holy, anointed, moments (hours) of God’s glory and presence on Miracle Mountain the home of Ruth and Debbie and Mark. Oh my…I haven’t even been able to write about this yet.
- There is a lake, a huge body of water in Tennessee that I had never seen before. #roadtripsights
- That Monarch butterflies bring such joy to our yard!
- I am so happy that
yardworkhardwork is almost over! #iworktoohard
- Taking walks this time of year and picking up shiny buckeye’s and branches of trees and wild ferns is like good medicine!
- Looking back and being glad that our (probably) last dinner on the porch was momentous!
- I learned that I can sing “happy birthday” to my ex-husband and mean it and all the while pray for his salvation. Please, Lord.
- I learned that 6 consecutive days of rain can dampen one’s spirit – oh yeah, I think I mentioned that already! Am I right, Holly?
Coming in October to Hope|Heart|Home
I have begun writing, and people? There is so much RICHNESS in this book of Proverbs, I am getting excited to share with you. We are calling the class WISDOM 101! Sign up for it (not really) just be sure to check in to hopehearthome.com every day in October for a jewel or three! Wisdom, knowledge, discernment, understanding – who doesn’t need more of those? xo
Linking up with:
I love the focus on blessing others instead of being blessed. You’ve learned a lot this month!
It’s always better, Kelsie! Thanks for visiting!
I love that most of what you learned is captioned in thanks for the various things. And I think the ex-husband thing… well, that’s just beautiful and truly shows God’s work in a person’s heart.
I can’t wait to read your 31 Days! Proverbs has always been hard for me; I get so hung up on the “Proverbs 31 woman” that the whole book just gets to be beyond me.
Not to worry, girlfriend, chapter 31 is the final day and I have a whole different perspective than most!!!!! Love you!
Lanae Bond says
Looks like you were very busy this month! I am glad you enjoyed and learned from the everyday events in your life. I just wish more people who have such an outlook on life!
Lanae, trust me my friend, contentment came hard to this chick!!! LOL! Thanks for visiting.
I love the glimpse into your month- it is full with much richness
Thanks, Melanie, I have a feeling October is about to get busy!!!!
What a blessing! It’s like our Thankful journal. Can’t believe September is going bye,bye. And October is knocking on our door. Thank you for teaching us to stop a minute and reflect on what our Lord is teaching us, about the little things.
Thanks for reading HM…
I’m so excited about 31 days in Proverbs! Can’t wait! Just saw this, not paying attention!
What a great list friend! Being blessed by others…oh YES! Too much rain and/or too much snow at one time can dampen my spirits too. Supper with girlfriends is indeed wonderful for the soul. I am excited to read along with your 31 days series. I have a feeling I may not get a lot of sleep trying to keep up with all of my friends series! 😛 Oh and I just happened to write a post using Proverbs yesterday! 🙂
Tara, just came from your “what I learned”….I’m so glad we connected last year. #BLESSED
Messy Mom says
I want some of that beef and I want to visit the coffee shop :D. I will refrain from commenting on every single bullet point, but that really is inspiring about your husband. I am so happy for you guys. My husband is 39 and as you know he just recently went back to school and is completing it for the first time as well as starting up a new career. So although it’s a little different I do understand.
Natalie, yes you do! And, you are so preggers! Just read your blog today!
I love this and love all the great lessons you learned in September! I also LOVE the book of Proverbs and can’t wait to read your series! (I will have to bookmark it or Pin it so I can go back and read it all because – well, you know… all the writing!) 😉
Oh yes I know… but just think of all the good reads and cuppas all winter long! 😉
Anita Ojeda says
I did two of the “What I learned” link ups…and then life got in the way. And it’s the end of the month already?! How did that happen? I’ll gladly give you my sunshine and 95 degree weather for some of your rain–this Washington-raised gal can only handle so many hot, sunshiny days in a row ;).
So, you like gloomy overcast days? I have an Oreganian friend and she loves those. Just give me sunshine and blue skies – remember I grew up in South Florida!!!
Kathy Walters says
Looking forward very much to your writings on Proverbs in October!
And I somehow feel there’s SOMETHING going to be written about “that day” on Miracle Mountain.
Kath’ it’s a stirrin’ xo
Arna Toliver says
You are such a “Real” person. I love that about you. I never know what you are going to write next. And I love surprises. I do not love to just simple read… stuff. However, its true that your writings truly are fresh and new every day. Every time I check in and read your post, it is totally different. Even on rainy
days obviously life doesn’t dampen your grateful spirit at the “Shipes Cottage”
They say that one who continues to study and learn will never get old. If that is true you will be young forever…..
Arna, honestly this is one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me!
Ali Battersby says
Enjoyed your September “gratitude journaling” and also witnessing the transformation to contentment that emanates from you and shines so brightly these days- even in the rain!
Looking forward to Proverbs!
Ali, soon we can have a cuppa?
Jan Hershner says
Loved reading your list and love Proverbs…thanks for being so down to earth and for sharing. Will be joining you each day! : )
Just knowing YOU are with me Jan, means the world to me!!!
Kristin Hill Taylor says
Love these what I learned posts – both writing them for myself and reading others’ posts. Thanks for linking up at #ThreeWordWednesday and sharing this peek into your life! Happy October!