Maybe I should change this post to “What I Did in …” Although I am a firm believer that one never outgrows learning new things; however, I’m not sure I learned anything BRAND NEW!!! It certainly is fun and challenging to write this post and I’m not going to stop now. HA! July 2016 was a good month – we didn’t do a lot and yet the days were pleasant yet quite hot. Living in the mountains we aren’t used to stifling heat but this season has certainly brought a few, “It’s roasting out,” and we do not have air conditioning. July held an awesome road trip that you can read about here. Even as I type this paragraph I am aware of a few lessons – let’s give this a whirl.
- New acronym, created by me, to remind my grandson. H.O.R.L. Honor | Obey | Respect | Listen “Just keep horling.” In regard to his parents. Yes, Lord. Selah. #13yearolds
- Corn Hole is a very cool game. I bought my daughter’s family a game as a Christmas in July present and we had lots of family fun playing it. I stunk. Hubs ruled. I was not born with sports skill. #cornholechamp
- Girls’ Weekends rock. I already knew this but was reminded of it when Marni (aka The Yardist) and Hannah came to the mountains to spend the weekend with me – we were home alone; only one male in the mix, Sam, our four-footed friend! My daughter works so hard at home and spends 75% of her time in the kitchen preparing meals so my goal was for her to do nothing! On the other hand, Hannah was my right-hand girl and we did all the food prep and clean up together (actually she did all the clean up). Our meals were served on the front porch and we languished over them and table talk. Saturday we did a downtown West Jefferson stroll. I did learn all the great new shops available to us. We began our day with strong coffee from Bohemia and ended the day with a stop at the Honey Hole to ooh and aah at their indoor bee hive! SONday we worshiped together at Community Church (our home church) and ended our glorious weekend with lunch on the porch. #hometowns #girlsruleboysdrool (That is an awful saying but it makes me laugh every single time!)
- A mundane Saturday can turn to adventure. Hubs had some visits to make in Marion VA and Sam and I accompanied him. He did his work and asked if I’d like to go on a picnic at Hungry Mother Park – sure thing! We got salads from a fast-food restaurant and headed in. Oh my goodness the traffic was crazy – but we found a space. We learned it was one of the biggest summer events that weekend – Art in the Park! We picnicked and took a very long walk around the lake – I couldn’t believe we had never been there. Definitely a return visit is in order!
- I’m learning the in’s and out’s of my new smartphone – yes, out with the old and in with the new. #goodbyetracfone #voxerdropout
- Summer television stinks! We do not have cable tv – we watch everything via ROKU. Hulu offered a new series we had never heard of, Pioneer Quest. Oh! it was wonderful. Loved every minute of this show – hubs and I decided, 20 years ago? We could’ve done this. No spoilers. #realitytvmyfave
- When traveling with my daughter Marni, granddaughter Hannah, and grandson Simon, what was to be a 500-mile road trip can easily be expanded to 1200 miles. No increase in days gone, but miles traveled. Read about it here.
- Oh my goodness – I almost forgot. I remembered I was old enough to apply for Social Security benefits starting in October and applied. Somebody pinch me #icantbethisold
- Losing loved ones hurt even when you don’t know them. My new brother-in-law, Tony, lost his only sibling, Frank. Our hearts hurt.
- On the political front, How can wrong be measured as right? #prayandvote
- My R(ead) P(ray) M(ove as in exercise) DISCIPLINE (word for 2016) is still going strong, 7 months and counting!
- I have learned that I’m not all that bad at book reviews. I thought I was. I’m getting better and reading is a very good thing! I was not on Jennifer Dukes Lee book launch for her “Happiness Dare” but it is a book every one of us needs to read. We need to get over ourselves and take #thehappinessdare
- And, I’ve been reminding myself, and YOU, that #hopechangeseverything
Because it does!
Enjoy some pics:
See what I mean? When you start thinking, remembering, reading your journal and calendar you realize you did learn a few things and you had a really great month!