The Age-Old Question
What exactly IS the age-old question?
Can you guess?
For people of faith the age-old question is,
How can I know God’s will for my life?
So, How Can We?
There are several ways to do this. The simplest (to me) is doing the next thing and if God doesn’t roadblock it, it’s His will.
Now, let me clarify.
The above works IF we are in a true, honest, and biblical relationship with God. THAT is the first question we must ask ourselves. If we aren’t? Then the roadblock method does not work.
I can look back over my own life and give you some examples.
- It is never God’s will for you to be unequally yoked in a relationship. [Ask me how I know.]
- It is never God’s will for you to be unfaithful in a marriage. [NEVER]
- It is never God’s will to commit murder. [I have never murdered anyone, but have wanted to! Sort of.]
- It is never God’s will to love another person’s spouse. [I came close a very long time ago, between marriages.]
You get my drift? And, remember, these bulleted “never’s” are for a born-anew, follower of Jesus Christ. I am NOT talking to unbelievers today. Imperative, we understand that.
- Get familiar with God’s Word – everything we need to know is in there. If you can’t find it? Ask someone to help you.
- Pray. God’s peace will reign in your heart when completely surrendered and obedient.
- God uses people to show us His will. Seek Godly counsel. (Proverbs 19.20; Proverbs 20.18; Proverbs 24.6)
- God uses circumstances.
- God uses Holy Spirit’s voice.
- God uses visions or dreams. (Isaiah 1.1; Acts 2.17)
The key is to be sure that we are submitted to Him and are willing to do whatever He shows us. If we purpose to do His will, we will know His leading. Pat Robertson
If you still cannot discern God’s positive direction and will for certain life situations, try this.
Father God, in Jesus’ Name, I desire to be in Your will above all else. I surrender myself to you and I ask You to not allow me to miss Your plan and purpose for me. Roadblock any and every thing that is not from YOU. I pray for, and desire, Your good, acceptable, and perfect will in my life. Amen.
I am going to list a bunch of scripture references that should assist you as you pray for and seek God’s will in your life. In no particular order:
It was NOT God’s will for one of these precious lives to be aborted.