My friend, Melissa, who blogs over here calls herself a “tea snob” – she prefers loose tea over tea bags! This morning as I considered my post I thought, I am a pasta commoner! I am not picky about my pasta – although I only use gluten-free these days – I don’t care what kind it is as long as it’s a noodle! I love the G-free pasta at Trader Joe’s. (an unpaid advertisement!)
A Sonday or two ago I had such a craving for a good macaroni salad – I told hubs I was scouring the ‘frig for all my favorite ingredients, this is what I came up with.
- 4 cups pasta noodles of your choice
- 3 whole roasted red peppers, chopped OR use pimentos
- 1/2 cup black olives, sliced or chopped
- 6 whole sweet/spicy pickle slices, diced
- 3 whole green onions, sliced using both white and green parts
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 T red wine vinegar
- 3 tsp sugar, more or LESS
- lots of black pepper
- 1/4 cup milk, more if needed
- splash of the pickle juice, extra to taste
- Cook the macaroni in salted water according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water to cool, set aside.
- Mix together mayo, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper. Splash enough milk to make it pourable. Splash in pickle juice for extra flavor punch. Taste and adjust to your personal preference. Set aside.
- Put the cooked, cooled, drained pasta in a large bowl and pour in 3/4 of the dressing. Toss and add more dressing, if desired. [Don’t worry if it seems thin, as it chills in frig it will thicken.]
- Stir in olives, red peppers or pimentos, pickles, and green onions. Add more if you wish. When finished adding ingredients, splash a in a little more pickle juice, stir.
- Chill for at least two hours before serving.
- If necessary, add the remaining 1/4 cup dressing. Garnish with chopped onion greens or fresh sprigs of parsley.
- Serve and enjoy. About 12 half cup servings.
Beloved, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, as it goes well with your soul. 3 John verse 2
Here’s your printable!
(originally posted August 2015)