One of the things I like most about Tasty Tuesday? I get to go through my recipe box and as I flip through the categories (yes, it’s very organized!) I see my mom’s writing on about one-third of the recipe cards! My mom loved to cook – she served others by cooking and baking for them. If she knew you liked her brownies or her cheesecake? You’d be the recipient of her baking passion! Her neighbors enjoyed the bounty from her kitchen. She’d cook up a big pot of chili and bring containers of it to them! My hubs loved dropping in on her – she was always good for a pot of coffee and something sweet. I quit baking years ago – not for any other reason except we didn’t need sweet goodies around to tempt us! But, my mom was the answer to his cravings! I miss her terribly but now I can see that big circular handwriting and know how blessed I was for 62 years! And, if there is a kitchen in our heavenly mansions? She’s happily baking for all her friends!
This morning I saw this recipe in the box – and remembered how good it is and realized I haven’t fixed it in ages! Guess what’s for dinner?
- 1 T butter
- 1-2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 to 1+1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast fillets, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1- 16 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 cup rice (of course, brown is the healthy choice)
- 2 cups of water OR chicken broth
- Prepare the rice according to the package directions, using water OR chicken broth.
- Melt the olive oil and butter in a large skillet – sauté the celery, onion, and green pepper until soft – about five minutes.
- Add the chicken chunks and sauté 5-7 minutes until chicken turns white.
- Add 1/4 cup of water (or broth) and all the dry seasonings – mix well, reduce heat to a simmer, allow to simmer until chicken is done but not overdone! (About 15 minutes)
- Mix in the drained, rinsed black beans. Continue cooking five minutes or until beans are heated through.
- To serve: arrange rice on a platter, making a “well” in the center. Spoon chicken/bean mixture into the well. Serve with Mexican cornbread or nacho chips. Garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley. Delicious! Serves four.
Beloved, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, as it goes well with your soul. 3 John verse 2