My daughter and I stopped at a Panera Bread on our recent road trip and because I try to eat gluten-free as often as possible I chose their new soup: Lentil/Quinoa/Kale, I got it with chicken. They also serve the same soup with egg – chopped hard-boiled eggs. I like eggs but the sound of it did not appeal to me. BUT, this soup would be good without chicken or egg – and there is plenty of protein in the lentils and quinoa. I loved the soup, the briny-ness of the soy and knew I wanted to knock it off once I was home. This is my first attempt and I’m sharing with you, my brave friends.
Lentil, Quinoa, Kale Soup
- 1 onion, chopped small
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped small
- 3 carrots, chopped small
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- S and P
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup soy sauce (I use low-sodium – I think Bragg’s Aminos would be good too but it is pretty salty)
- 1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup lentils, uncooked
- 1/2 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 4 cups of broth (chicken or veggie)
- 5-6 cups water
- 3 cups roughly chopped kale (any kale will do but be sure it’s fresh)
- 2-3 cups roughly chopped fresh spinach
- the juice of one lemon
- 1-15 oz can of Cannellini beans, rinsed really well
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped (optional)
- 2 cups cooked, chopped (pulled) chicken (optional)
- You have a choice here. Sauté the onion, garlic, celery, and carrots in the olive oil and leave alone OR before cooking you could purée them. I like to chew my food so I chose sauté. IF you purée, place it in the oil and heat up – and proceed…
- Add the S and P, herbs and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the soy, diced tomatoes (with juice), dried lentils, dried quinoa. Stir.
- Add the broth and water. Stir. Bring to boil.
- Cover the pot and cut the heat back to a SLOW simmer, about 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, taste the lentils for doneness. If not tender, let simmer a bit longer until they are.
- Now, uncover the pot and add the kale and spinach and the lemon juice.
- Serve, placing the egg, chicken, or nothing on top!
- Lemon slices for garnish would be appetizing!
These are hearty servings – makes about 12 cups of soup.