Disclaimer: I have not tried this recipe yet but because I love to cook with Quinoa as a substitute for meat, this is at the top of my to-make list! I have everything in the pantry! Soon, maybe tonight!
Mexican Quinoa Bake (from adashofsanity.com)
- 14.5 oz carton Mexican Style Tomato Soup (Campbell’s makes this)
- 1 cup Quinoa, prepared
- 1 cup Fontina cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup corn kernels (frozen or canned)
- 14/5 oz can black beans, rinsed well and drained
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup roasted poblano chiles OR a can of green chiles
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Optional: chopped avocado, chopped tomatoes, sliced Jalapenos.
- Prepare 1 cup Quinoa according to package directions (1 cup dry Quinoa in 2 cups water; bring to boil; turn off heat; cover pan; let sit until all water is absorbed – doesn’t take long)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Add cooked Quinoa to a 2-quart baking dish. Top with onion, pepper, corn, black beans, cilantro and chilies.
- Pour the soup over the top and add seasonings and 1/2 cup each of the cheeses. Mix together as though a salad (2 spoons). Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with your choice of toppings.
- Serve; makes approximately 8 servings.
P.S. I made it and it was very tasty! One could substitute their favorite salsa for the box of soup. And, don’t forget a dollop of sour cream when serving!