When the hubs comes in the door after a long day of working, his normal comment is, “Something smells good – that Susie’s made soup!” He loves soup. My soup! When someone likes what you make, it is natural to want to make it again, or another version, or a totally new recipe to hear those words…
Something smells good!
And, today, that something is Italian Vegetable Soup. This is a hearty, main dish zuppa! Crusty bread and a salad is all you need to add to it for a well-balanced dinner. Vegetarians? Substitute 2 cups of cooked Quinoa for the meat and you’ll get those rich amino’s and protein…
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-16 oz diced tomatoes
- 1-15 oz tomato sauce
- 1-15 oz kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 5 t beef bouillon granules (or cubes or whatever you like to use)
- 1 T dried parsley flakes
- 1 t salt
- 1/2 t oregano
- 1/2 t sweet basil
- 1/4 t black pepper
- 2 cups shredded cabbage (or a package of pre-shredded slaw from the produce area)
- 1 cup frozen or fresh green beans, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup small elbow macaroni
- Parmesan cheese
- Brown beef in large Dutch over type pan; drain.
- Add all ingredients except for cabbage, green beans and macaroni.
- Bring to a bubbling boil then lower heart and cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add cabbage, green beans and macaroni; bring to a bubbling boil again and then simmer until these three added items are done to your liking.
- For a thinner soup, add more water or broth.
- Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Yields about 12 servings.
Perfect for a rainy fall ND day!
And, have friends over because it makes a lot!!!