- 4 T. butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic minced or finely chopped
- 1- 16 oz jar of roasted red peppers, drained and rinsed of all oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (For g-free diets, use corn starch; mix in a jar with water and thicken the soup, as desired)
- 1-12 oz can evaporated milk
- 1-14.5 oz can of chicken broth or veggie broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp coarsely ground pepper
- Smoked Gouda, grated (1/3 of a 7 oz round)
- Drain and rinse the red pepper – place in blender.
- Melt 2 T of butter, add onion and garlic, saute approximately 2 minutes until onion is tender. Add this to the blender. Cover, process until smooth.
- Melt remaining 2 T butter and add flour (see G-free note above), whisking constantly and adding the milk and broth. Stir until a boil is reached and it has thickened, add red pepper mixture. Stir to blend, reduce heat to low simmer. Add S&P and grated cheese. Heat through and serve. Great with grilled cheese sandwiches!