Quinoa again? Yes, because it is so good for you! First a lesson in the protein-packed grain-like substance we call Quinoa!
Quinoa, pronounced keen-wah, is not a true cereal grain but rather the botanical fruit of an herb plant. It is treated in cooking as a grain. Quinoa contains more protein than any other grain. Quinoa’s protein is of an unusually high quality – it is a complete protein, with an essential amino acid balance close to ideal. Quinoa can be substituted for almost any grain in almost any recipe a
Basic cooking instructions:
Because some of the bitter saponin covering on the grain can still be present even though most Quinoa is washed before being sold, you should thoroughly rinse the dry grain until the water runs clear. Combine 1/2 cup Quinoa with 1 cup water and simmer for 15 minutes or until tender. Or, just bring the Quinoa and water to a boil, turn off the heat, cover with a lid and forget about it! 1 cup dry Quinoa/2 cups water; 1-1/2 cups dry Quinoa/3 cups water and so on. For a nuttier taste, toast the Quinoa in a hot, dry pan for about five minutes before cooking.
Creamy Quinoa Primavera
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked Quinoa
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 T chopped fresh Basil or 1 tsp dried
- 1 T butter
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped (or minced)
- 5 cups thinly sliced or bite-sized pieces of assorted uncooked vegetables (suggestions: broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, zucchini, green onion, peas)
- 3 T grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- Rinse Quinoa thoroughly; drain.
- Bring Quinoa and broth to full boil in a 2-quart saucepan; reduce heat OR cover the pan and turn off heat. Quinoa is done when all the liquid is absorbed.
- You have time to prep all your veggies now.
- While cooking the Quinoa, melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add all the vegetables. Sauté for about 5 minutes. Lower the heat.
- Add the garlic and stir around – garlic burns easily – WATCH IT.
- Stir the cream cheese and the Basil into the fully cooked Quinoa. (Check to make sure the liquid is completely absorbed.)
- Toss vegetables in with the creamy Quinoa and sprinkle with your freshly grated cheese.
- Serve with a salad and crusty bread (unless you eat G-free!!!)
Beloved, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, as it goes well with your soul. 3 John verse 2
Here’s your printable!