Hurricane Harvey. Hurricane Irma.
No question we are having a busy hurricane season. I grew up in South Florida and I remember the times of lowering the awnings, filling jugs, buckets, bathtubs with water, binging on junk food, and the icing on the cake AFTER the storm? Treasure hunting the shoreline at the beach. Storms are serious business and nothing to fool around with.
Irma is already packing Cat 5 winds and sits east of the Leeward Islands as I type this on Tuesday morning. Facebook feed is filled with talk of evacuation and from our Texas friends, the horrific cleanup from Harvey.
We continue to pray. I have made my charitable donations. I sit here and want to do more but I know there is nothing more I can do.
As I checked the NOAA website this morning the Lord spoke, “Storm warning,” into my ear. By now you know my response to such whispers, “Yes, Lord.”
There are FIVE recommended items on the preparedness list: water; fruit, canned and dry goods; medications; batteries; and, paper goods including bug spray. And, fill your cars with gas, fuel for generators, cash and i.d., an evacuation route, and know where the shelters are.
The Word of God warns us of a pending storm. But, The Word also tells us how to weather it and be prepared for it. Let’s take a look:
- Water. We cannot survive without it. Jesus calls Himself the Living Water and goes on to say when we drink from Him, we will never thirst again. John chapter 4
- Fruit and Canned Goods. We want to have lots of fruit! Bearing good fruit for The Master and The Kingdom should be the goal of every believer. Colossians 1.10 and John 15.
- Medicine. The Word states that a cheerful spirit is like good medicine. Proverbs 17.22. Don’t take yourself too seriously. Learn to laugh at your mistakes and remember laughter is actually healing! Share the meds!!!
- Batteries. Who or what is your power source? What revs your engine? I know if I’m not plugged in to God and His wisdom, I am doomed to fail. So how does one plug in to The Source? Read the Word and Pray to the Author! He lights our path – guides our way! Psalm 119.105
- Paper Goods and Bug Spray. I can’t think of any paper more valuable than the Bible! Get one. Keep one. Read and study it! 2 Timothy 2.15. Bug spray fends off those nasty, biting bugs – right? We need to know how to fend off the enemy of our souls! The Word gives us everything we need to resist the devourer in Jesus’ mighty Name! Ephesians 6.12; 1 Peter 5.8; Ephesians 2.2; Acts 26.18; 2 Corinthians 4.4; and James 4.7. Don’t just have a Bible – learn it and treasure it!
Sooner or later we are going to be caught in a storm. Whether it is weather-related, global, or a personal situation — storms are part of our life. The same five the weather experts advise can be adapted in the spirit-sense as I did above.
Be Ready. Be Prepared. Don’t wait until the last minute.
Bear good fruit.
Have joy and share cheerfulness.
Be plugged in to The Source.
Read your Bible and be ready to defend yourself and your loved ones with The Word.
Be Storm Ready. Fill your “tank.” Run to The Shelter!
This week I’ll be linking up with Inspire Me Monday, Tea and Word, Porch Stories, Coffee for Your Heart, Jennifer Dukes Lee, Tune In Thursday, Dance With Jesus, Fresh Market Friday, Glimpses of His Beauty, Salt and Light, Heart Encouragement, Thought-Provoking Thursday, Grace and Truth, Faith-Filled Friday, Seeking God, Glimpses of His Beauty.