- 1/2 lb Italian sausage, turkey sausage, brats, or your choice of links!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup elbow macaronis or any other available pasta (needed for the starch)
- 1 large bay leaf
- tsp of dried parsley
- tsp of dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 T tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 qt chicken stock
- 2 cups water (and a chicken boullion cube)
- 1-1/4 cups dried lentils (brown)
- 1 small bunch of spinach or kale, chopped
In Dutch oven, pour 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Then place your links (chopped into bite-size pieces), chopped onion, carrots, and celery. Saute for 10 minutes or so. IF necessary, drain fat. Now add all other ingredients, except the kale or spinach, and bring to a simmer and simmer for 30-45 minutes and then just leave covered until serving. 10 minutes before serving bring to a bubbly simmer again and add kale or spinach, just to wilt into the soup. Ladle out and sprinkle with fresh grated Parmesan or something else you might have on hand. Serve with crusty bread (for dipping of course).
This soup is so tasty and satisfying, especially on a cold, snowy night.