(Originally posted in 2010; then in 2015; and now 2018…
Several months ago I tried to come up with another term for “quiet time” or “devotions”; however, nothing ever came to me. Regardless of what term we call it, our daily time with the Lord is extremely special and crucial to our everyday walk with Him.
Personally, I like to picture Father waiting for me each morning, with great excitement and anticipation of my arrival. I often think of the reunion between a military member and his or her loved one at the airport – running into one another’s arms and embracing with great joy of being together once again. That should be our expectation for meeting with the Lord each and every day!
Once settled in our favorite place for the time spent with Him – the question can easily be asked, “Now what?” Here are some simple and creative ways to inject new life into our quiet time:
- Read the Word aloud – The Father loves to hear His words spoken back to Him!
- Write your prayers in a journal – not just prayer needs and requests, but whole sentences, just as you would pray.
- Pray aloud – keeps us on track and the devil HATES to hear us pray – give him something to worry about!
- My friend Lyli suggests praying, “Open my eyes, Lord, that I may see wonderful things in Your Word.”
- Softly play worship music that is conducive to intimacy.
- Have a daily prayer focus. For example: Monday – pray for your pastor or priest, church leadership, and all the prayer concerns that were brought to your attention the day before. Tuesday – pray for the country, the government and its leaders, including state and local leadership. Wednesday – pray for foreign and local missions, missionaries, the persecuted church and any ministries that you personally support. Thursday – pray for specific needs in your immediate family and marriages that are suffering setbacks. Friday – pray for businesses and work situations of those you know are having difficult times. Saturday and Sunday – pray as the Spirit leads about everything and anything.
- Select a devotional which truly ministers to you – there are thousands to choose from. Seek recommendations from believers that you look up to and those that you know have a strong personal relationship with God.
If it has been a while since having a personal devotion time, don’t dive in and declare that ‘you are going to start spending two hours with the Lord every morning.’ Take baby steps – find your perfect meeting place (comfy chair in the den or at the kitchen table) and meet with Him – simply talk to the Lord, share with Him your heart and let His soothing balm (of Gilead) pour over you and surround you with His joy and pleasure of spending time with you – over the next weeks and months you will come to realize that God is the very air you breathe and the only bread that truly sustains.
(This was first posted in 2010 – republishing to remind myself!!!)
This week I’ll be linking up with:
- Inspire Me Monday
- Glimpses of His Beauty
- God Sized Dreams
- Jennifer Dukes Lee
- Tea and Word
- Seeking God
- Porch Stories
- Coffee for Your Heart
- Tune In Tuesday
- Heart Encouragement
- Dance With Jesus
- Fresh Market Friday
- Thought Provoking Friday
- Counting My Blessings