I don’t know about you but this phrase is becoming more and more relevant at 60-something! Sometimes I will say, “Bear with me, but do you mind telling me thus and so, AGAIN?”
Apparently Holy Spirit foresaw this as He had Peter pen his epistles.So I will always remind you of these things, even though you know them and are firmly established in the truth you now have. I think it is right to refresh your memory as long as I live in the tent of this body, because I know that I will soon put it aside, as our Lord Jesus Christ has made clear to me. And I will make every effort to see that after my departure you will always be able to remember these things. 2 Peter 1.12-15
So, what exactly did St. Peter (inspired by Holy Spirit) want us to remember so badly that he would make every effort to see, that after his departure, we would always be able to remember these things?
- Jesus has given us a new birth into a living Hope and an inheritance that can never fade away. 1 Peter 1.3-4
- We can be holy because of His holiness. 1 Peter 1.16
- We are a chosen people, a holy priesthood, God’s special possession. 1 Peter 2.9
- To live as free people, yet slaves of God! 1 Peter 2.16
- Women, we are the most beautiful when we adorn ourselves with a gentle and quiet spirit. 1 Peter 3.4
- That we would suffer for doing good. 1 Peter 3.8-22
- To be like-minded, sympathetic, compassionate, humble, and to love one another. 1 Peter 3.8
- Live for God. 1 Peter 4
- Clothe ourselves with humility. 1 Peter 5.5
- To confirm God’s invitation to you and His choice of you (this is profound!) 2 Peter 1.10 (MSG)
- The prophetic message is 100% reliable and it does us well to pay attention to it! 2 Peter1.19
- That all scripture is spoken from God and carried by Holy Spirit to the writer. 2 Peter 1. 21
- Beware of false teachers and their destructive message. 2 Peter 2
- The Day of the Lord will come and all prophecies will be fulfilled. 2 Peter 3
The above list is a brief overview of Apostle Peter’s letters to us, found in the New Testament. A couple of items really speak to me: I certainly am NOT a writer of scripture but it is my fervent prayer that everything I write on this blog is God-breathed and Holy Spirit-inspired; and, even though I’ve heard it since the womb – Jesus really is coming back and His patience means salvation for one more soul! My Grandma Emily always said, “When the last soul to be saved is redeemed, Jesus will break through the clouds and rapture His church.” Sooner, or later, HE WILL RETURN. make no doubt about it!
This was long, with a lot of links but I was impressed to refresh your memory!
And, a huge thank you to Bible Gateway – an invaluable resource and tool for online Bible study and research. If you want to read multiple translations of one scripture, this is the place to do it easily and quickly!