Help Our Unbelief!
And they brought the boy to Him. And when the spirit saw Him, immediately it convulsed the boy, and he fell on the ground and rolled about, foaming at the mouth. 21 And Jesus asked his father, “How long has this been happening to him?” And he said, “From childhood. 22 And it has often cast him into fire and into water, to destroy him. But if you can do anything, have compassion on us and help us.” 23 And Jesus said to him, “‘If you can’! All things are possible for one who believes.” 24 Immediately the father of the child cried out and said, “I believe; help my unbelief!” 25 And when Jesus saw that a crowd came running together, He rebuked the unclean spirit, saying to it, “You mute and deaf spirit, I command you, come out of him and never enter him again.” 26 And after crying out and convulsing him terribly, it came out, and the boy was like a corpse, so that most of them said, “He is dead.” 27 But Jesus took him by the hand and lifted him up, and he arose. Mark 9.20-27
How’s our faith quotient?
Is anyone, reading these words, anxious? Doubtful? Afraid? Dreading? Scared to death? Well, join the club!
There is fear in the unknown!
Covid19 has us all a bit on the edge, to say the least. It is affecting every aspect of our living. And, that is downright scary. I have seen many crises in my 60+ years:
- 1956-58 The Asian Flu (2 million deaths worldwide; 69,000 in the USA)
- 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis
- 1963 JFK’s assassination
- The 1967 7-Day Israeli war
- April 1968 Martin Luther King’s assassination
- June 1968 Bobby Kennedy’s assassination
- The 1973 oil crisis
- The economic crisis of the 70’s
- 1973 Roe vs. Wade (61,628,584 million babies, worldwide, have been murdered)
- The 1980’s AIDS plague (35 million people have died of AIDS, worldwide, since 1980)
- September 1982, the Tylenol poisoning crisis
- September 1985 earthquake in Mexico City killing 5,000+ people
- January 28, 1986 NASA’s Space Shuttle Challenger explosion (killing all 7 crew members)
- October 19, 1987 Black Monday – the Global Financial Marketplace System crashed (500 billion dollars lost)
- July 1988 Mad Cow Disease in the UK (4.4 million cows were slaughtered)
- August 1992 Hurricane Andrew devastated South Florida
- July 1995, Midwestern USA, a killing heat wave
- 1997-1999 The Bird Flu (killing 2-7 million people)
- 1999 the Columbine High School shooting, killing 13
- Y2K as the century turned (the headlines: End of the World, Armageddon, The Day the Earth Will Stand still)
- September 11, 2001 World Trade Center terrorist attack killing almost 3,000 people
- 2003 SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome)
- 2005 Avian Influenza pandemic
- 2007, mass shooting at Virginia Tech, killing 33 people
- 2008-9, a financial crash
- 2009 Swine Flu pandemic
- September 29, 2009 Tsunami in the Indian Ocean killing over 230,000 people
- 2012 the Sandy Hook School shooting, killing 27 people
- 2013 EBOLA bacteria (11,300 deaths)
- 2016 ZIKA virus (840,000 worldwide deaths)
- 2017-18 Flu season killed an estimated 80,000 Americans
- 2020 Corona Virus
Quite a list, eh?
Here’s what I know
This too shall pass. Do I believe that Jesus is about to step out onto the clouds? No, I don’t. NOT YET. And, I also think we are going to have a lot more opportunities to exercise, to stretch our faith and our trust quotient. But, for now, let’s just say, “We are all in this together.” And, we must encourage one another. We must pray for one another. And, by all means, regardless of any personal opinion OR political affiliation, we must PRAY for our leaders, our country, our world. This virus has not taken our sovereign God by surprise – He is on top of it and He is working on our behalf, for our good, and HIS GLORY. Because that is what God does and who He is.
Now, for the rest of the story…
Now, back to the Dad and his possessed son – what lessons are there in that account we can learn?
- Do not allow other’s lack of faith, doubt, or inability to weaken our faith.
- Are my/your desires in accord with God’s good, acceptable, and perfect will?
- When my/your faith is shaken and we realize the situation is totally out of our hands – we need to ask Jesus to remove all the doubt and to give us unquestioning faith. HELP OUR UNBELIEF!
***I want to give a big shout out to my sister, Peggy, who looked up all the crises as I typed!!! THANK YOU, SESTRA!
You can follow Peggy’s encouragement and inspiration on Facebook, BROKEN TEA CUPS!
Love this, thanks honey I’m sharing.Fear is a rotten liar! And believing and standing on Gods Promises
HM, fear is a liar – but there are many folks walking in it today. They need to hear truth!!!
Donna Reidland says
It’s so good to know that God is in control, that He will help us when we struggle with unbelief, and that, as you said, this too shall pass. Thanks for the reminders!
Donna, so glad to see you! I will return the visit!!!
Peggy Occhiuzzo says
Thank you Sestra! So glad we have the ability to communicate even during this! We will come out of it! Shining! We will be salt and light. Fearful? Nah…looking for an end to this? OH MY GOODNESS YES YES YES! God has done it before, He will do it again! Let’s hold fast, pray for each other, our leaders, our country…
I love you Susan!
I love you, Peggy Lou!!!
Patsy Burnette says
THIS —> “Here’s what I know This too shall pass…. Because that is what God does and who He is.” (that whole paragraph!) is the best thing I’ve read today!!! Thank you, Susan, for posting this very encouraging post!
Thank you for linking up at InstaEncouragements!
Thanks, Patsy. I spoke from what I believe Holy Spirit led me to write.
JENNIFER K COOK says
That is a list that many of us have lived to observe.
I’m thankful that none of those have impacted our family directly. God is on the Throne for sure for all things. I pray that we all stay well and that those who are sick experience healing.
Jennifer, praying Psalm 91 over the entire situation.
Michele Morin says
What a great sister!
And I’m with you in this determination not to waste our God-ordained pandemic. If we come out of this anxious time unchanged, it will be an even bigger tragedy.
Every one of the listed events have left some form of impact. I will never forget the 7-day war to regain Jerusalem – I was 16, a nanny, and scared to bojeebers. Now, I understand the critical nature of that short-lived war and think GOD BE GLORIFIED!!!! I have a friend whose daughter passed away in one of the flu epidemics. Very sad. CHANGE US O LORD!
Tammy Mashburn says
Another good one!!
Another! These gospel stories are the best!!!
How blessed we are to be able to ask Him even to help us in our unbelief!! Always, He is sovereign and so faithful! Thanks for this reminder today. Xoxo
It’s a season of remembering and reminding!!!
Kitty Lawrence says
The list. And that list is by far not comprehensive. But. There is also a BUT with God. He is faithful. He is trustworthy. David said, “While I am afraid, I will trust the Lord.”
I’m not afraid of death. I am afraid of what I and millions of others might have to go through before that happens. And yet. Holy Spirit helps me, all believers, stay in faith. Thank you Jesus.
Me too, Kit’, me too.
Lauren Renee Sparks says
Praying this prayer today.
In agreement, amen.