If you are a frequent visitor to HopeHeartHome you know I am reading the Bible through in 2016, chronologically (as it happened), and using Eugene Peterson’s The Message translation. You also know that I am over the moon crazy about this translation – LOVE IT. I am on day 194 and almost through 2 Kings and 2 Chronicles. These two books in the Old Testament are written parallel to one another – in other words, what is written about in Kings is also written about in Chronicles. It is believed Jeremiah wrote the Kings and Ezra wrote the Chronicles. AT THIS SAME TIME IN HISTORY, other books of the Bible were being written: Isaiah, and today, I read the book of Amos. Chronological reading is the way to go in my humble opinion.
All of that to say this.
Things aren’t very different today.
Bad kings definitely outnumber good kings.
Do “good presidents outnumber bad presidents?” I have never done an extensive study of presidents, so I can’t even answer my own question! God Himself is the Rank-er of the kings – he has a lot to say about their rule. Here are some of the characteristics of bad kings:
- Their behavior is bad.
- They passed their sons through the fire (human sacrifice).
- They participated in the activities of the neighborhood sex-and-religion shrines.
- Some savagely ripped open all the pregnant women. (I could say so many things here but won’t.)
- They married foreigners.
Here are some of the characteristics of good kings, God ranks them, not me!
- They acted well in God’s eyes.
- They lived the way God wanted and did the right thing.
- They did what pleased God.
- They behaved well.
- A few lived in reverent obedience before God and lived a godly life.
- YET, all of the good kings? Have something in common – they all have a “but” after the accolades and it is a hefty “but”… “he didn’t get rid of the sacred fertility shrines nor the sex-and-religion shrines.”
History sure repeats itself, doesn’t it? The Bible, history books, and today’s culture prove one thing: there is an enemy on the prowl and we live in a fallen world. I have stopped watching the news, I get enough of it on social media. Politics? Totally off my radar screen! But this is what I am choosing to do:
I am going to PRAY. I am going to be kind. I am going to encourage. I am going to speak words of life. I am going to love unconditionally. I am going to point people to the ONLY TRUTH THERE IS…
And, THAT Truth is Jesus Christ. He warned us that things were going to get bad. He admonished us to endure to the end. He told us there would be ugly, hateful people. And, He told us that HE IS LIFE, HE IS TRUTH, and HE IS THE ONLY WAY. He also tells us “we win in the end.”
My loving people has to point them to HIM. Because HE IS THE ONLY HOPE this world has.
And, as I’ve said before and no doubt will say again,
Hope Changes Everything.